|Joseph Sibley Home |
Located at the corner of Elk and Twelfth streets was the home of Isaac N. Patterson, president of the Savings Bank of Franklin. Joseph C. Sibley purchased the home and had it extensively remodeled before he and his wife, the former Metta Evalina Babcock and their daughters occupied it in 1888. Mr. Sibley also purchased the old brush factory, still standing at the corner of 12th & Otter for use as his garage and barns.
Metta Sibley died in 1911 of pneumonia in the 58th year of her age. In 1913 J.C. Sibley married Ida Lorena Rew, a niece of his deceased wife. Their wedding was held at their just completed River Ridge mansion overlooking the Allegheny River in Cranberry Township.
In 1915, the Sibley home on Elk Street was purchased by Charles W. Gearing to use as a rooming house for men. The United States government had previously purchased the land on which the mansion stood from Sibley in 1914 for $19,000 with plans to build the Franklin Post Office at that site. Mr. Gearing owned property at the foot of 12th Street and had the large home moved to that location.
In 1920 Mrs.G. N. Sousae purchased the home and ran a fine boarding rooming establishment there for many years. The floors in many of the rooms were tiny blocks of wood laid in an intricate pattern, known as a parquet floor. The front parlor, done of birdseye maple was just one of the areas where fine woods were used in a lavish way. Gradually the house deteriorated, the areas for roomers were closed off and only an owner lived there part time. In 1971 the building was sold for $22,500 to the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church which owned the adjoining property.
Read more about